To begin with, akka-zmq has some serious problems:
- Very high latency, your expectation for 100 micros is unreachable, simple REQ/REP could be over 100 millis!
- ZMQ 2.x compatibility only, meaning 3.x is up in the air, though the scala binding does say to get there, no timeline!
To address both, I tried JeroMQ:
- ZMQ 3.x compatible, ZMTP 2.0 based, most socket types supported, tcp, udp, inproc supported
- native java implementation, no problem to run from within scala runtime
- downside, 0.3.3 version in use, yet 1.0 release
And there’s few reasons why Akka & ZMQ couldn’t work now: